Monday, August 24, 2009

To Fictionize or Not

You come from a family, and your husband comes from a family, and then you have a family together and you try to figure out what to do with it. We keep it an open discussion. When the holidays started rolling around after the kids came, I found myself asking “Who's the guy in the fluffy red suit?” and “What’s the point of the Easter bunny again?” I haven’t quite figured out their reason, so I decided to leave them out of our traditions.

Kynlee knocks out a tooth at the playground and asks about the tooth fairy. She’s picked up on this somewhere and catches me off guard- because she didn’t loose the tooth naturally and I wasn’t prepared to think about this tradition. Sure I’m for it. I love the idea of the tooth fairy. Added bonus, no conflicts with religion. Kynlee gets a little prize under her pillow. She naturally loses a tooth not long later- no problem, another prize.

Then Kynlee starts pounding me with questions about the tooth fairy. Who is she? How does she know me? How does she get in the house? So-in-so said the tooth fairy is really the parents, is that true? Is it you? You have the same wrapping paper. Just tell me, is it you?!


Now I realize my problem with fictional characters, I’m a terrible liar! I get flustered and shaky. I can’t take the pressure! Kynlee has three teeth loose right now and I’m about to buckle, “It’s ME all right! I love you and I want to give you a prize! No more questions! PLEASE!”

“and don’t tell your friends the truth.”

2 comments:

Anna said...

I can kind of picture you buckling under the pressure of Kynlee's questioning. I'm lucky I guess - I'm a great liar.

Katherine said...

Come on just fib a little!!